Chef Henry Jonkers: Inn on the Square Executive Chef.
Chef Henry was originally from Worcester in the Western Cape. At the age of 18 the
Mother City called him and he started his career at the Alphen Hotel in Constantia. During this time he completed his 3 year Chef’s training. Thereafter moving to the Cape Sun as Chef de Partie and ended off his stint at Cape Sun as the Banqueting Sous Chef.
Mount Nelson as Senior Sous Chef for the next 5 years was his next stop.
Chef Henry’s first position as Head Chef was at the Oude Libertas Restaurant in Stellenbosch for 4 years. Dublin Ireland was Chef Henry’s next stop in his career where he was Head Chef at the Herbert Park Hotel.
Chef Henry returned to South Africa and is now Inn on the Square Executive Chef.
One of Chef Henry’s signature dishes is the Chocolate and Orange Souffle.
Chocolate and Orange Souffle
- 2tbsp butter
- 3tbsp flour
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate pieces
- 4 beaten egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 whole orange zest and juice
- Butter the sides of a 2-quart soufflé dish. Sprinkle the sides with a little sugar. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter and add orange juice and zest, simmer for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the flour, add milk all at once. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add the chocolate, stir until melted. Remove from the heat. Gradually stir the chocolate mixture into the beaten egg yolks, set aside.
- Beat the egg whites and vanilla until soft peaks form. Gradually add ¼ cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold in approximately 1 cup of the beaten whites into the chocolate mixture. Then fold the chocolate mixture into the remaining beaten whites. Transfer to the prepared soufflé dish. Bake in a 200 degree oven for 15 minutes or until cooked – knife to be inserted near centre comes out clean.
Serve at once with whipped cream.
Serves 6 persons.